Dia de los Muertos: Webquest
Day of the Dead is an interesting holiday celebrated througout the world during the chilly days of November 1 & 2. Even though this coincides with the Catholic holiday called All Soul's & All Saint’s Day, the indigenous people have combined this with their own ancient beliefs of honoring their deceased loved ones. Write out and complete the questions below by linking to the websites hyperlinked to the pictures that follow. Please note you will need to wear headsets when watching the videos or listening to music clips.
Webquest Research Questions
- What are the origins (or history) of Day of the Dead?
- Why do people celebrate Day of the Dead?
- With Halloween approaching how can you get the Day of the Dead "Sugar Skull" makeup look?
- What are some foods eaten on Day of the Dead? How are they made?
- How do you make paper mache Day of the Dead Skulls?
- Throughout the world who celebrates Day of the Dead?
- What role does Catholicism play in the origins and traditions of Day of the Dead?
- How is Day of the Dead celebrated?
- What is the purpose of an altar during the Day of the Dead celebrations? What are some things that might be found on the altar?
- What are ofrendas?
- How does the practice of Halloween differ from the practice of Day of the Dead? Explain.
- What role does music play in the celebration of the Day of the Dead? Explain
- Are Day of the Dead and Halloween the same thing? What are some ways they differ?
Introduction to Dia de los Muertos