About this course: An introduction to Foreign Language
There are multiple reasons for learning other languages. At the most basic level, you learn a secondary language to speak, read, write, and understand the language. Perhaps more importantly you learn other languages, and cultures, to understand and communicate with others. Language is the portal to other ways of seeing our world and the people that live in it. Only 20% of the world speaks English. Learning about others cultures and speaking, reading, and writing in other languages will allow you to interact with the other 80% of the world. Additional reasons to learn a secondary language include:
Students can expect to gain the following...
Online Learning Activities
Current Unit: In Class Studies
The Current Unit tab on the right will be updated periodically to reflect the current unit being studied in Introduction to Foreign Language. Past and future units are available at the bottom of the page.
Introduction to Foreign Language
Information for Parents & Students
Disclosure Document Survey
Parents & Students please take the Disclosure Document survey by clicking on the survey icon, below Once completed students will receive a free upgrade. Students may receive one additional upgrade, should their parent(s) choose the take the survey as well. Parents who take the online survey are not required to sign and turn in the completed hard copy of the Disclosure Document. Plan on at least 20 minutes to adequately complete the survey.
Text Messages & Email Reminders
Make a Donation: Help Fund Best Learning
The Alpine Foundation is a tax deductible foundation that allows you to help with special projects in your son/daughter’s classroom. My hope is to help your child acquire and use technology skills that will help them succeed in the 21st Century world. Make a donation by clinking on the "Donate Now!" link on the left. It will only take a few minutes. Be sure to keep a copy of your receipt for a tax deduction come tax season AND contact your employer to access matching funds for your child's education
Your Instructor: Mrs. Ness
I love teaching Foreign Language; in fact I have been teaching language for almost 3 decades, far longer than my students have been alive. I am currently teaching Accelerated US History, Spanish I and Introduction to Foreign Language at Willowcreek Middle School. In addition I am an instructor at BYU and an adjunct professor at Weber State University. I am passionate about teaching a viable, standards based World Language curriculum. My hope is to facilitate students in better understanding the role of language in culture and how they can better learn language and understand the world and their role in it.